#socialmediabuttons {text-align: center; margin: 0 auto; display:block;} -->
Friday, October 11, 2013

SPOTIFY versus PANDORA - a musical choice :)

Aloha,

Apart from my on-going posts relating to life-as-a-stay-at-home Dad, one thing I rarely post are Public Service Announcements.

Hovwever, if you use PANDORA while you write/edit,, let me ask... have you heard about SPOTIFY?


Courtesy: Wiki Commons.


Now, I have no financial (or other) dog in this race - and this PSA is just my humble opinion, but if you like Pandora, you'll *love* Spotify... :)


I only found out about Spotify last month while I was travelling to see my old man. I assumed Pandora had a box in Holland, but I was mistaken.

I shared this with Peter, an old, bald buddy of mine, and he was like, "Ja hoor, just do Spotify, man."

My old mate, Peter from Edam, home of the cheese:)



"Do Spotify?," I said, over breakfast in downtown Edam (with nary a clog, tulip or windmill in sight.) "It sounds contagious... What's a Spotify?"

He explained and I downloaded the app for Android in about five minutes. For the next ten days, I had music on my smartphone (and laptop) the entire time.


Wikipedia has a lot of technical information here, but here are some, for me, positive differences between Pandora and Spotify.

Courtesy: Wikipedia Commons

With Spotify,

>>> You can *rewind* a song (love that!)

>>>  It's free for basic service, (which isn't "basic," it's awesome.)

<<< You can go into your " radio stations" and choose specific tracks, not just wait in hope...

>>> The ads on Spotify seem shorter and less obtrusive.

<<< Spotify sets itself up at the bottom of your screen, and just waits to be clicked on (no more pressing the x close button by mistake :)


Anyway, just wanted to share the info and let you know there is another option to Pandora - if you're interested!

Have a great, music-filled weekend, y'all ;) 


22 comments:

Anonymous said...

My days are always filled with music.
Great post.

Enjoy your week-end.
Yvonne.

Sheena-kay Graham said...

Sounds like something good to try. Enjoy your music and weekend.

Optimistic Existentialist said...

Can you do Spotify on the phone? If so I will check it out!!

Jennifer said...

I've heard of Spotify but I just use Pandora out of habit. Maybe I'll give it a try.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

I've been using it since it began and get the full service for free on my computer. Listening to a whole album is just awesome!

Melissa said...

I have never tried either, but Spotify sounds neat. Thanks for sharing. :)

Unknown said...

Right now I listen to Pandora (and I use that rarely), but I've heard of Spotify. Might give it a try! Thanks for the info, and I hope all is going well in your neck of the ocean.

M.L. Swift, Writer

Donna K. Weaver said...

I love Pandora, so I'll need to check this out. Thanks for the heads up.

Anonymous said...

Usually if I want to hear a specific song, it's already on my mp3 player, so that doesn't affect me. lol And sometimes I want to rewind a song, but not direly. I enjoy Pandora more.

Mark Means said...

I tried Spotify way back when it first came out, but quit using it when they started making you log in with your Facebook account.

As a very 'anti-Facebook' type, that was enough for me to drop it.

I've been using Pandora for a while, now, and it works for me :)

Have a good weekend, Malachi!

Carrie-Anne said...

I've been using Spotify for a few months now, and I really like it. It's no substitute for my record player, but it does the job while my record player is waiting to be moved over here and hooked up to speakers.

Tony Laplume said...

As I've used Pandora more, I've grown to appreciate the randomness. There's more to potentially discover that way, rather than fixate on what I already love. But I may have to try Spotify at some point.

~Sia McKye~ said...

I have Sirius on my computer and in the car, but I should check it out. I've heard of Pandora but not spotify. Interesting.

Sia McKye Over Coffee

klahanie said...

Dude!

You certainly did open up Pandora's box with this posting. I need to check Spotify. I had a free set up with Napster. A friend of mine was allowed it on three computers and let me have it. The free Napster, that is. Now he no longer has a Napster account. Besides, I think they changed the name in Europe.

Time to go listen to some "Fear Factory" and do some head bangin'!

A good weekend to you as you listen to "The Best of The Osmonds."

Gary :)

Elizabeth Seckman said...

Thank ya cyber-brother! I will have to check that out. I love my music!

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Kirsten said...

I discovered Spotify about a year ago myself and absolutely love it! Mostly I listen to preview songs that I'm going to buy, and listening to whole albums is great too. I also like that you can make playlists.
As a heavy music user ;) I switch back and forth between Pandora and Spotify, because I like the randomness of Pandora sometimes too.

Isn't the Internet just the greatest thing? :)

Anonymous said...

I'll have to try it out. Have you heard of Songza? No commercials at all -- big fan.

Suzi said...

This is good to know. I've never used Spotify and I don't use Pandora a lot, but I'll have to compare the two myself now. Thank you.

Arlee Bird said...

Have not yet tried Spotify, but I'll have to remember to check it out. I do all my listening on my PC, but usually I'm listening to talk radio and if I do listen to music it's CD's and lately picks from my vinyl collection.

I'm mostly familiar with AOL radio and Pandora, but I've tried some other options as well. One thing is for sure: There is a lot of cool music to hear over the web.

Lee
Tossing It Out

Nicole said...

Hmmm, I do love me some Pandora, so I might have to check this out at some point.

Unknown said...

I'm late to this conversation. My kids and I were just talking about Spotify vs Pandora and my daughter was singing Spotify praises as well. Looks like if the "adults" are chiming in with support, then I should look into it.

Post a Comment

Dude saunters up to Dude-ette: You Comment Here Often?

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
;